Skip to main content

An old Beatle - Sony RX100 MkI

I like Beatles, not the car of the same name.
Because they are diminutive yet quite strong in their will and muscles. Kind of underdog for me.
More I like this aspect, when I find such a camera in our today's fast forgetting camera digital world.

Shining with all those die hard strong muscle and will power is Sony RX100 MkI. A dear friend gave me this camera day before yesterday to try selling it out as it is of no use to him. Price bar and selling candidate are on me to decide. But I must check it thoroughly before selling it to someone else. I am happy for the third request.

Gist - For those who want the result/conclusion fast...This is a superb street, travel camera. It can fit in to even a jeans pocket of men and in every woman's every purse. It can compete any camera if the photos are posted in blogs, FBs like small screen viewers. Can a mobile camera replace it? No, for the money it can be bought used. Will I buy for self - Yes, if I would be happy in posting photos in net small screens/monitors only. 
Main reason for buying - A camera that can be carried anywhere n everywhere, always. The camera with you is the best camera at that time.



Handling - I liked its Japanese design, slightly Leica way of simple too. With its round edges, palm size body length and height and a feel of a pack of card immediately made me happy. I can carry it anywhere, I thought when I first put the battery and a card in it. I took it on the road, hardly anybody saw it unless I aim it straight to them for long. It is fast enough for a camera of this size.

I think cameras are not to be compared, but to be used based on its design considerations and limitations. Otherwise it is the photographer's limitation to complain about a camera.

Back to business, I thought it is small and could be slow compared to a dSLR or faster mirrorless, I was a bit wrong. It start within a second from pressing power button. It takes more than 2 seconds to shut down. Does it matter, hardly.

There's almost no shutter sound, and sometimes it is difficult (while outside) to understand whether the camera has really taken a shot...or not. That's too good, really.

It didn't got much warm while shooting many shots at a sequence, a good sign of a strong Beatle.

While open, the lens extends more than two inches, good or bad? Mmmm...nothing to be bothered for me.

Picture quality - here are examples, a lot actually. I shot and exported them through Picassa without touching at 90% of these shots. Why Picassa, just to see whether a slick camera and a simple software combination can satisfy me, when I recently shot through Sony A7R MkII with two wonderful lenses. The result, with its probable used market price of 8K, this Beatle of a camera is a super winner for its use.

Just for sharpness test

Another one

Some play mood incamera picture mode tries.....



It has a wonderful lens with a bright f1.8 lens at 28mm focal length. Superb for low light shots. Almost silent shutter sound allows you to be discrete.










It has enough depth of filed due smaller sensor than APS one. Its crop factor is 2 compared to full frame sensor. Much much bigger than any mobile camera sensor.

 Morning chat between two guards

Works well with direct light shoots.


It does not have barrell cushion effect of considerable degree that can be visually disturbing.



The kid saw me but didn't put any protest or whoed any change in behaviour except looking at me.

And then got busy in their own play.







Colours came quite attractive in Vivid mode. 





The camera is so handy and small that any quick action shot will not be identified by others on even a busy street. Just play smooth, slow and steady.








Lovely background blur (bokeh)









At 100mm equivalent focal length.







 There's hardly any shutter lag due to focus delay. Shutter is smooth to operate too.










The actual camera -



Comments

  1. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually know
    what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also
    talk over with my website =). We can have a link trade
    arrangement among us

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rabindrasangeet in 100 voices - Rehearsal in Chennai

 Rabindranath and his songs, Rabindrasangeet is every Bengali's colour of their culture, essence of their values. Chennai has many Bengalis living their life in a different geographical and cultural world here. A group of people, friends had taken an initiative to sing Rabindrasangeet in a group, a large group rather, counting nearly 80. They will sing 20 songs all together, once, on stage. To do this, with so many members to be in sync, they are practicing for months. This session is one of them.

KGL-Kashmir Great Lakes Trek

 Whatever you say, Things to do before you die, Bucket list, must visit places on Earth...Kashmir remained in all those lists, for me. Then, I have a book, name Witness, a photo book of journalistic photo of Kashmir, images of Kashmir troubles. Interestingly, which the editor of the book also exclaimed, that there is no image of Kashmiri Hindus being fled or extracted from Kashmir. With this complex state of visions, news, anger, frustration, religious bias beneficiaries one thing remain same and true to my existance, that I have to see Kashmir. And I do not want to see tourist Kashmir, I want to see Kashmir as Kashmiris see.  Their, my first step or plan you can say is to have a trek to reach deep inside of Kashmir, where Kashmiris are with Kashmir and themselves. Hence Kashmir Great lakes happened.  Images, I want to speak for themselves, only when I want to say something more of my vision, I have added some notes on top of those images. Curfew sick Daal lake on August 7th, 2022. Thr

Tanjavur - 2023 December end

The evening in Brihadeshwara temple, Tanjavur