Skip to main content

Shantiniketan - hurricane hug to my favourite place (in my visit home)

I had no other day left but the next day of our arrival in Kolkata. We reached by a Friday late night flight. Reached home probably around 12:30 am on Saturday.

Zoomed to Shantiniketan next day at 8 am. Shiniketan calling, Poush mela is waiting to be experienced...again. So many wishes to fill, so many things to do, so many songs to listen.

Now, be with me, although this trip ended within coming 24 hours from the time we reached Shantiniketan, I wanted to be as vivid in this presentation as I felt. I tried to make here a photowalk, albeit a virtual one.

We reached Shantiniketan, in my friend's beautiful bunglow in Gurupolly by noon. Get ourselves fresh and then set out for Sonajhurir math, a place called Khowai where a village fair happens every Saturday. Here you can buy local products from clothes to beautiful potteries, handicraft products. Many Bauls gather here too in expectation of some earning.

Shantiniketan has electric rickshaws to reduce Carbon footprint. They are quite spacious for 6 people. We passed through alleys of this town,

Afternoon chitchat -

After a day's work, bath and a lunch, it is time to dry hair. In Bengal, it is still a regular view of ladies drying their hair while gossiping.


The main road in front of the Biswabharati university is blocked for vehicles for this three days. Vehicles have increased in shantiniketan in many folds for these three days too. These slow rickshaws block twowheelers, they look for a slightest chance overtake.

Artist were going with us towards Sonajhurir math (ground).

Entry to Sonajhuri ground greets you with this sculptor. Locals travel here with their cycle mostly, those who can't afford a powered vehicle.
 
I have never seen tribal dance in Sonajhuri ground ever. I thought to myself, even if this dance become commercial, it is still good for these free spirit human beings, atleast they will continue their culture.


Usual selling item in Sonajhuri-Khowai-


A seller in waiting-

The usual gathering of Bauls -

I got a chance to play with them for some songs. They made my day!

Now walk with me to be with different groups - 

Another group getting themselves ready -


Musician got themselves set too -

A vendor watches cautiously how ladies are preparing for the risky dance they were about to perform.

Many lady visitors enjoyed joining dances. One of those ladies helped them getting down -


Another group in search of appreciation -


Mutual understanding -


Soil and soiled -

The youngest seller -

The youngest seller -




A family watching dances and the young seller who saw me taking his photos-


  Sharing the earning of the afternoon performances-

Alone in Khowai - I wish I can spend my time like him.

Sun set behind those Eucalyptuses.....

In appreciation -

For parents -

Hand made -


Like a child -


Choosy -

Returning home. Shantiniketan can make you feeling dizzy in deciding whether all experiences were real or too good to be true.

We went back to friend's place to be prepared for the night visit to mela. It was getting colder, we need to have our jackets on.

Night in Shantiniketan is more groovy, dreamy basically unreal. Roads are narrow, almost can be called alley, they are deserted at night in winter. Lamposts are less and their lights don't disturb your pending wishes. Rickshaw pullers probably understand the mood as they do not disturb a lone walker with their horns here.






















































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rabindrasangeet in 100 voices - Rehearsal in Chennai

 Rabindranath and his songs, Rabindrasangeet is every Bengali's colour of their culture, essence of their values. Chennai has many Bengalis living their life in a different geographical and cultural world here. A group of people, friends had taken an initiative to sing Rabindrasangeet in a group, a large group rather, counting nearly 80. They will sing 20 songs all together, once, on stage. To do this, with so many members to be in sync, they are practicing for months. This session is one of them.

KGL-Kashmir Great Lakes Trek

 Whatever you say, Things to do before you die, Bucket list, must visit places on Earth...Kashmir remained in all those lists, for me. Then, I have a book, name Witness, a photo book of journalistic photo of Kashmir, images of Kashmir troubles. Interestingly, which the editor of the book also exclaimed, that there is no image of Kashmiri Hindus being fled or extracted from Kashmir. With this complex state of visions, news, anger, frustration, religious bias beneficiaries one thing remain same and true to my existance, that I have to see Kashmir. And I do not want to see tourist Kashmir, I want to see Kashmir as Kashmiris see.  Their, my first step or plan you can say is to have a trek to reach deep inside of Kashmir, where Kashmiris are with Kashmir and themselves. Hence Kashmir Great lakes happened.  Images, I want to speak for themselves, only when I want to say something more of my vision, I have added some notes on top of those images. Curfew sick Daal lake on August 7th, 2022. Thr

Tanjavur - 2023 December end

The evening in Brihadeshwara temple, Tanjavur